OUR HISTORY

St. John United Lutheran is a consolidation of 3 different congregations in the Phinney/Fremont area of Seattle:

St. John’s Lutheran was founded as a Danish American congregation at 26th and Spruce until moving to a new building at 55th and Phinney in 1955. In 1967, the Swede-Finns of Emmaus Lutheran at NW 65th and 1st Ave. NW joined with the members of St. John’s, dropping the “s” to become St. John Lutheran. In 2001, St. John United was formed when St. John merged with St. Paul’s Lutheran which had been located at N. 43rd and Fremont.

For many years, the St. John United building, located on Phinney Avenue, across from the Woodland Park Zoo, has been home to the offices of Northwest Washington Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), a community garden, a pre-kindergarten co-op, a twice-a-week hot meal program, a nightly shelter, and various community groups. Recently we have also become home base for Lutheran Youth of North Seattle.